The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child, I love you and would never leave you. During your times of trail and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Friday, November 9, 2012

The Promise of December

I look back over my past posts, and there are not many, but it is interesting how much we can get caught up in one moment, one situation in time. This is just one piece of the intricate blanket being woven called our life. One day I will look back and see the quilt of people, moments, and blessings that God stitched together. Each block contains its own unique set of emotions and consideration that cannot be associated with another block on the quilt.

Two years ago I wrote about the promise of God being children into our lives, and now I cannot imagine life without our two munchkins. They are so woven into our lives, into my daily life, they may as well be the flesh of my flesh and blood of my blood. I would do anything for them, I care for them, I would die for them. I cry for them, and cheer with them. They are my sons and nothing can take that from me.

Almost seven years ago this January will be the anniversary of when Shawn and I first met. I remember one of our first nights together. It was a cold night, cold enough that the windows were frozen. We were sitting in my car outside of my apartment building. He was dropping me off after another night out. We had probably gone out to eat at "our" Mexican restaurant although that detail eludes me. Shawn was telling me again that he was going to marry me and of course I was protesting. I confessed to him that I felt the Lord had told me something important was going to happen in December. Well, we got married in June of that year (2006) and this detail became a faint memory. Fast forward to 2010. In the Spring of 2010, we were at church one morning and our Pastor came up to me and spoke that he really felt I was going to be a mother and mentioned Christmas. At this time I was reminded of another mention of December, a faint whisper in my heart. But as Christmas 2010 went by, and although we had our two bundles of joy living with us, there was no promise of when our adoption would happen for sure, I once again put this promise aside. Then in 2011 after 5 1/2 years of holding onto a promise, yet sometimes despairing and questioning the validity of it, and the sanity of my own mind that maybe it was something I had willed myself to believe out of this innate desire to be a mother, this promise came to fruition. Our sons, Jeremiah Lucio Hernandez, and Ayden John Hernandez, came to be forever in our family.

So sometimes these boxes our our quilt have their own memories, but sometimes feelings, emotions, and promises span through time. All we have to do is trust in the maker of our quilt of life. It is not easy, but looking back and seeing how it is woven together is a blessing that makes it all worth it. The promise of December is one I will always hold close to my heart, just as Mary held the promises of the angels of Jesus' coming close to her soul. The promise of December is one I see everyday- in the form of my little angels.

No comments:

Post a Comment